Thursday, July 17, 2008

2 - Skype's Newest Convert

Part 1:
Knowing it would be over 10 hours after take-off before we would land in Tel Aviv, I buckled into my middle seat (H of K … big plane), and mentally prepared myself for two movies, two meals, and hopefully some zzzz’s. Shortly after take-off, I began scrolling through my very own movie choices. With over 300 options to choose from (probably 200 films, half of which have been dubbed in languages other than English), initially I quickly scrolled through. But then, remembering that there was no hurry to do anything on a 10 hour flight, I slowed down considerably, and decided to watch Man of the Year followed by 27 Dresses (why? Well … why not!?!!?). I was thrilled to have a personal television screen, and also to learn that we had electric outlets at our row. With all improvements, I am learning, something is usually lost, and in this case, along with the electronic upgrades has come the demise of complimentary wine and beer. Susan had encouraged me to get myself a pity-present as a consolation for missing the family-fun-flight, so I decided to splurge on the $5 for a glass of vino … perhaps it would make me more sleepy.

Long story short, the family in the row behind us kept me up nearly all night complaining that they couldn’t sleep, but we arrived in Tel Aviv safe and sound, customs was a breeze, all of the Birthright groups and I collected our bags, and I happily let my really nice taxi driver take the route with lots of detours to our sea-side hotel.

Part 2:
I was certainly relieved to get to the Tel Aviv Hilton. My taxi driver, who did rip me off by at least 30 sheckles, was really nice, and we talked about his history as a Russian immigrant, the reason for my travel, and some words that would help me get along in Israel. As in anywhere, saying thank you can go along way. Toda Raba (thank you very much), Schlecht (excuse me), and brevacacha (please) are my Day 1 words to master … sort of, we decided. Rabin, my driver, seems to think I will be fluent in three days … it’s a good thing I’ll probably never see him again.

But if I was relieved to arrive safely to the Mediterranean shores, my family was delighted. Before I had both feet out the door, out poured Dad, Susan, Asher, Rebecca, Nancy, Vicki, Michael, Robbie, and Janet from the hotel lobby … all hugs, shrieks, and helpful hands. I know that President Bush had a big welcome party for his trip last year, but I promise you that mine was equally, if not more, heartfelt.

Quick dip in the Mediterranean Sea (so warm that it’s really not refreshing, but amazing water to lounge in), followed by Oriental platters (falafel, hummus, tahini, eggplant, etc … let’s not forget, the Middle East is technically Asia), Isreali salads and $4 diet cokes (didn’t see that one coming), and then nine of us in the crew piled into taxis to go to the Palmach Museum to learn about the period between 1941 and 1950, perhaps the most significant decade in Jewish history in centuries (more on that experience later),

Part 3:
Thank goodness I took a nap after the Palmach Museum because we (now 13 of us) were about to have the experience of a lifetime.

Four taxi-cabs (we had another great driver, this time we learned that Mas means “tax”), and a half an hour drive, and the Richler, Ostro, MacWilliam, Nichols clan was climbing three flights of stairs to the childhood home of Solomon Nagata, Rebecca’s fiancé. Shlomo, isn’t with us on this trip (he’s keeping down the fort in Brooklyn), but we had the amazing opportunity to join Rebecca as she met her in-laws for the first time. The group of 13 of us was joined by Shlomo’s five sisters, two brothers, and each of their spouses and children. We are certain that at one point we had at least 30 people in a very small, not air-conditioned apartment. And what a warm, loving, welcoming family.

We walked in and were immediately brought to couches and chairs to sit at. We had hardly said hellos/shaloms (and in my case, Schmee Devon’s, my name is Devon … another first taxi ride gem of a phrase) when Shlomo’s family was dishing up homemade Ethiopian bread, lamb, curried vegetables (yarikot, strikingly similar to the French for beans, haricots), and salad. What an Ethiopian feast! Each of the siblings had been tasked with a dish, and the delights just kept on coming. Puppy said the motzi for the homemade Ethiopian bread, we were served traditional home roasted coffee, and pareve ice-cream to follow the meat meal.

Conversations babbled all evening, which is ironic because no one in the room is fluent in both English and Hebrew, and the evening pinnacled with Puppy giving a moving speech, which Rebecca translated (with the help of Diane, Nancy, and some of Shlomi’s sisters and cousins). Rebecca and Shlomi’s wedding is February 15th, and it would be the best present in the world for his family to be able to join us in New York for the ceremony. As a family, they walked for a month out of Ethiopia in 1984, were helicoptered from Sudan to Israel (child seven of eight was born on this trek), and have made a warm, loving life for themselves as Ethiopian Jews in Israel. A large mix of Jews and Gentiles, Canadians and Americans, we were totally embraced in their presence. Rebecca is marrying into a great family, and given the dynamics of both families (where word travels faster than lightening), it seems we will all have the great pleasure of further diversifying our blended family.

Oh! And lest I forget … I’ve converted to be a Skype fan! Although Shlomo cannot be with us for these two weeks, he was completely present tonight at his family’s house. Through his computer and theirs, we were able to chat, see each other’s faces (including those of Rebecca’s pug, Tucker, and friends who came to her apartment for the occasion). Shlomo was able to be a part of the introduction of his bride to his family … all for less than pennies a minute. In this case, I do not see any losses presented as a result of this technological advance. We would have loved for Shlomo to be with us, and we are so glad that in essence, he was.

God gives us gifts of the spirit, in the case of the Nagata family, they have been blessed with hospitality. I am so grateful to have been a part of this warm family welcome and look forward to being a part of their welcoming party to the States, hopefully in February.

No comments: