Monday, July 14, 2008

1 - Birthright is alive and well

Hello everyone, and welcome to D-Blog!

I am at the Newark airport, finally, after spending the majority of yesterday afternoon and evening futily trying to get out of the Washington region. Lesson learned: if you're nervous about weather, go Amtrak.

This morning's travels have been much more smooth. I got a call from Dad as I was approaching my gate at DCA. The family had arrived safely in Tel Aviv and had already cleared customs. I'm sad that I wasn't able to be on the same flight to Israel with Dad, Janet, Susan, Asher, and Rebecca, but I've found that the excitement of the voyage is no less exciting on my own! After passing through the special security check-point to get to the Tel Aviv gate, I find myself surrounded by what seems like hundreds of eager passengers. Students going on birthright trips, secular and religious Jews, business persons, and me ... the only traveller in hot pink J-Lo pants, I'm sure.

But I bet I'm not the only person chronicalling my trip, either. The excitement at this gate is contageous, as people talk about why they are going to Israel, or how their trip to the States has been. For many of us, it seems, we are on our first trip, and it truly seems like a pilgrimage.

I think it's especially appropriate that we fly out of Newark. I hadn't expected to see the New York skyline as we arrived from DCA, but sure enough, the Empire State Building and Statue of Liberty stand out as monuments to all that America has stood for ... for world economy, for opportunity, for religious freedom. And yes, the Word Trade Center towers still are visibly missing, reminding us that we have a long way, as a nation, and as a world, to heal.

I anticipate that my pilgramage will mean many things to me. I look forward to connecting with my family, Jews and Gentiles, in a new way in these holy cities; I look forward to learning more about my heritage as a Christian; I look forward to spending a week at the "Miami of Isreal;" I look forward to experiencing being an "outsider" in a foreign country.

Seeing as so much of what I am studying at Georgetown is the composition and values of equality, I expect my frame of refence to shift considerable through this trip. At the Newark airport, we all seem equals. We all go through metal detectors and have our bags checked ... we all wait in line ... we all look forward to free wine/beer on our international flight :) What will we experience in Isreal? How will I be received on my first taxi ride? How will authority be manifested and received in Tel Aviv? Will that be different from Jerusalem? Will I ever want to come back after our Ethopian feast with Shlomo's family?

They're beginning to call us to board our aeroplane, so I'm going to jet (pun intended). I hope you'll check back as I write about my experience and try to verbalize what I expect will be complex impressions.

safe travels,
Devon

PS. A friend of mine sent me this prayer. Thank you in advance, friends and family, for all of your prayers for me and mine as we travel to the Promised Land.

One who sets out on a journey should recite the following prayer once he leaves city limits: May it be Your will, Hashem, our God and God of our forefathers that You lead us in peace, guide us to peace, that we reach our destination with life, gladness, and peace. May you rescue us from the hand of every foe, ambush, bandits, and evil animal along the path, and from all manner of catastrophe that occurs. May you send your blessings in all our handiwork, and grant us grace, kindness, and mercy in Your eyes and in the eyes of all who see us. And listen to the voice of our supplication because You are God Who hears prayer and supplication. Blessed are You, Hashem, who hears prayer.

3 comments:

Brian said...

Have a blast Devon! A few tips, some I mentioned and some I didn't...

1. Try and grab breakfast at the Dan Hotel on Hayarkon Street in Tel Aviv, especially the orange juice!
2. Have a Guiness at Molly Bloom's Irish Pub, also on Hayarkon Street right across from the Dan Hotel.
3. Goldstar is way better than Maccabee (these are the two main Israeli beers).
4. Head to "the cones" on the beach in Tel Aviv at night (not sure of what the actual name is but you'll know it when you see it on the beach at night)
4. If you get to the point where you really need some good old American bar food in Tel Aviv head to Mike's Place.
5. When you go to the Old City of Jerusalem, before you go into the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, buy some rosaries or something because you can take them into Jesus's Tomb to lay them on the rock slab where is body was placed, a nice little blessing. Take care!

Anonymous said...

You are a very good blogger, frogger.

Unknown said...

Devs, this is great. Write more!